Thursday, September 21, 2006

Days Like This Is Why I Love Teaching


This whole week I have been a walking ghost. I have a mighty vicious sinus infection. I was hopped up on Sudafed the whole day. The only thing that I was truly looking forward to was the lesson I created. We have been talking about reflective writing this whole month and today was the wrap up. I wanted to switch the class up from the usual reflective samples we have been reading. With this in mind I created a lesson that discussed how pictures can get us to reflect and how music contains reflection.
It was nice to see the students enjoying the lesson that I had worked on. The students here really appreciate when teachers to go the extra mile. I had students ask “Who took these pictures, they’re good?” It was nice to say that I had taken them on recent vacations. It was a pleasant surprise to see that my students actually liked the songs I chose for reflecting on. I thought Johnny Cash, Gil Scott-Heron, and Diana Ross & The Supremes would be a tough sell. I was expecting to hear a student say “Why can’t we listen to E-40’s music?” which I still did hear anyway.
I think that is what makes the school really great. The students really do appreciate it when you go the extra mile. Forgive me if that sounds corny but it is true. That in kind makes it worth it for teachers to create good lessons. Often teachers get into the profession because they want to aid students in becoming the best they possibly can but every once and a while it is nice to hear that you are appreciated. It is also nice to explain to a class of 25 why you don’t trust cows. I am pretty sure it was the Sudafed kicking in when I told my students I didn’t trust cows because they can’t talk back. Or telling a student about your guilty pleasures, like Justin Timberlake's music. Please forgive me if there are any errors it is the Sudafed making me do these things.

3 Comments:

At 2:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey theres no shame in loving Justin Timberlake... er his music... Hahaha. I've been thinking about this as I read your blog:

Every teacher should get a blog. Every student should have a blog. It would be the GREATEST way for you to show interest in the students' lives outside the classroom. What else can you do, besides get a Myspace ? (which, by the way is a fad on it's way out :p)

Anyways, I did enjoy the lesson today; except I was buried in reading The Fountainhead. Can't put that book down.

And oh yeah, go watch Jackass 2. Saw the premiere at 11:59 tonight, it's hilaaarious. Ok see you at 9am sharp tomorrow.

 
At 12:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, why is E-40 forbidden? Sounds like a sweet lesson, keep on truckin'. Big ups to teachers who go the extra mile. Stay Up. SF to the VV!

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Azn Ftw! said...

=P Sam Purtill

<---Mr. Landeros Student 5th Period Keyboarding

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home