Monday, September 25, 2006

Lazy Sunday


It is today that I finally realized I like running into students outside of school. In the past I have averted my eyes and tried to blend into the wall when I see students. And might I say it is pretty hard to blend into the wall when you are in the produce aisle of a Safeway. I can honestly say that my students in the past have engaged in the same activity of pretending to be invisible. When I was a kid I would have done the same thing. Growing up I was a firm believer that teachers weren’t human and seeing them shopping would be evidence to the contrary. Maybe this is showing how things have changed for me professionally.
On Saturday it was nice to see one of my students in line at McDonalds and yell his name. I’m pretty sure when he heard “Hey Deters” the last person he expected it to be was his English teacher. Today when I went to Sports Chalet to buy a soccer ball I ran into another one of my students. It was nice to have a student walk up to me and say “Hello Mr. Landeros.” Even though I had on some running shorts, the beginning level of a beard, and a shirt that had paint all over it. Once again this is just more evidence explaining why this year is so different. Last year it was students trying to ignore the fact that I actually exist outside of school and today I had a student just come up to and say “I just wanted to say hi.” So if you see me outside of school say hello and more importantly offer me your discount.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love seeing kids outside of school, I wish I still had kids to see but I no longer don't. Maybe I can see the boards I put together in the street. Big ups to my brother. Stay up. SF to the VV!

 
At 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you're crazy; no one says "hi" to a Deeters brother... ever... you crazy man.

But it's cool how small things can make a big diffrence in someone's day and possibly in someone's life.

 
At 9:19 PM , Blogger Azn Ftw! said...

we're cool like that =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home